Saturday, August 2, 2008

9 Days of Cheese

Why does Shabbos always fly by when you're having such a nice, relaxing time? Friday was pretty hectic, I was hoping to relax a bit before lighting candles but somehow that never happened. After cooking in the morning, I ended up washing the floors in the kitchen, living and dining rooms. I haven't spongaed in AGES and it was not easy. At some point, I actually just sat down on the couch and pushed the stick with the rag underneath the coffee table to get at the dirt. I was so tired and cranky when I was finished cleaning that I picked a fight with Pidgeon and then spent the rest of the time before we left for Shul apologizing for my behavior. He is so good to me that he doesn't deserve to bear the brunt of my moodiness.

I lit candles and we left the apartment to try out the new shul we found last weekend. The Ramban shul was absolutely packed and I was shocked by the crowd. I had thought the Jerusalem "singles" scene was at Ohel Nechama, so you can imagine how surprised I was when the majority of the women's section was full of young, single Israeli and Anglo women. After a really nice davening, I went downstairs to meet Pidgeon and was practically overrun by the men's section. Fortunately, I found Pidgeon looking for me outside and we met up and discuss our impressions of shul. Pidgeon knew a couple of people, which was nice, and I knew one person from my summer camp days. We think we'll go back again, which is the beauty of living in Jerusalem. There are so many shul's nearby that we can pick which ever strikes our fancy that weekend.

For some reason, I slept terribly and then was up for about 2 hours from 4:30 - 6:30 a.m. I woke Pidgeon at 5:30 and asked him if he wanted to go to the Haskama minyan at Ramban. He just laughed and turned around and went back to sleep. He managed to make it to the regular Minyan and I just slept right through until he got back. I pulled a muscle in my back from my Friday pre-Shabbos cleaning spree that I could barely get out of bed. I managed to pull it together in time for lunch and then, as soon as we finished eating, crawled back into bed and went to sleep.

We didn't go for a walk this afternoon because of my back, but we did run out after Shabbos to change money. The weather was pretty nice, so we drove around with the top down. I want Pidgeon to enjoy his car as much as possible before we have to trade it in. I'm hoping the car business will finally end this week and we can get on with the next big item on our to do list.

Last year, at this time, I was in the States in full on wedding countdown. For the life of me, today I just couldn't remember what I did each day. So, as soon as we got back tonight, I booted up the computer and visited my old blog for a reminder. I can't get over how much has changed, honestly, almost one year since we got married and I'm still in awe with how different my life has become.

Since today marked the beginning of the 9 days,  I've been scouring the net for dairy recipes for the week. Pidgeon and I both have our own dietary restrictions and it's going to be a difficult time preparing lunch and dinners. I've also got about a kilo of fresh figs from our green grocer and I have no idea what I'm going to do with them! I'm thinking fig tarts, fig and cheese salads and maybe a fig balsamic reduction sauce for some salmon. 

Well, I'm off to join Pidgeon in a TV watching marathon. 

Shavuah Tov from Baka!

No comments: