Friday, September 5, 2008

Bowling Birthday


TGIF!! I am so happy that it's almost Shabbos. I never thought I would ever say that, I used to dread Shabbos while single and living on the Upper West Side. By, ever since we got married and packed our weeks with work and errands and just life in general, I've learnt to appreciate Shabbos. 

It was a very busy and exhausting week. Wednesday, we were still heavily under construction and the apartment was just covered in pulvarized wall and dust. We ran some errands and then, once all the workers finally left, I got into the shower and got dressed to Pidgeon's first cousin's 11th birthday party at the bowling alley in Talpiot.

We were an hour and a half late, so we didn't make it in time to actively bowl, but it was a lot of fun. It reminded me of our birthday parties - back in the day - at Jib Lanes in Queens. Each of us had a party there, and mine was especially fun! We bowled then went to the back room where my parents had pizza and a birthday cake. I got some good presents that year and I still have some pictures of all my friends bowling and having a fun time. I think we took up about 5 lanes too, everyone we invited came! I don't remember what the goody bags were that year,  but knowing my Mom they probably had a lot of chocolate and candies in them.

After the bowling evening, we went to Anise on HaPalmach so I could buy some stuff we needed for the house and our new diet. Also, I bought that Nettle tea leaves and some Raspberry Leaf tea leaves, as recommended by our childbirth education class instructor. We also found Whey protein powder, which is a key ingredient in this non-flour "graham" cracker crust recipe I found online. I saw limes at the fruit and vegetable store on Derech Beit Lechem yesterday so I want to make pidgeon some "key lime" pie that is "kosher" for our diet. We also bought some fake sugar for baking, which I'm sure we will burn through in no time!

We got home late and I started cooking a quick egg scramble for Pidgeon and waited for my friend Slightly Mad to come over. We had a much needed girl's chat, which was great fun for me! Pidgeon enjoyed it too, and tuned us out during the appropriate times.

Yesterday wasn't as busy as Wednesday, and less crowded in the apartment as construction finally winds down. I spent 20 minutes with the contractor telling him where to hang which picture, and the apartment just looks so much nicer with some photos up! Pidgeon was out on errands in the morning, and when he got back we decided to run some errands for me. We went to pick up some fruit and vegetables to get us through the day and then we stopped by 4UGifts to try to finish off our registry. We literally have 129 shekels left and I'm waiting on the rolling pin I ordered about a month ago. We did manage to get two dairy casserole dishes that I needed desperately and this thing called Dish Wish which is incredible! It's basically thicker than a towel and functions as a drying rack for dishes. Since we are VERY limited in counter space, I only have one real drying rack but needed something else for milchig dishes. Enter Dish Wish! We bought another one yesterday since we've been really using the first one and it's getting a bit grundgy. I think I'm going to have to wash it very soon!

I ended up cooking a great dinner for us last night. I made salmon, a broccoli cheese and pizza spice "casserole" and a goat cheese salad with artichokes and endives. It was yummy! I was ready to get to bed much earlier than expected, but we decided to watch Hancock online. I was happy, once the movie was over, that we didn't shell out the dough to see it in the theatre. Now, I'm a big Will Smith fan and have been seeing his July 4th movies pretty regularly since Independence Day hit theaters way back when. But, he needs to sign up for better movies, cause this one was a stinker.

We went to sleep so late last night, that it was no surprise to me when I rolled over and saw it was Noon! After four late night pit-stops to the bathroom (damn that Nettle tea!!) I was pretty wiped. I woke Pidgeon up and decided to make us some whole wheat pancakes for breakfast since it's our Hebrew 1st anniversary. The new recipe I tried was absolutely delicious and we polished off 15 pancakes between us! It was that good. I think I'm going to make another batch early next week and leave them in the fridge. Pidgeon likes to eat them as a quick snack and it's healthy for him, so why not.

Well, I'm off to finish this new mix I'm pulling together for Pidgeon's brother. He's in from London and is a big runner, and when he told me what music was on his iPod, I was pretty shocked. The guy is listening to music for 15 years ago and not because he likes it, but because he doesn't have anything new! So, I'm pulling together a great mix with tunes from The Fratellis, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Kings of Leon, Damone, The Kaiser Chiefs, etc. I'm hoping he'll enjoy this mix as much as his old one.

Shabbat Shalom from Baka!

No comments: