Thursday, May 8, 2008

Happy 60th BBQ!!


Chag Sameach everyone! It's Israel's 60th birthday and that means the air today will be filled with the smokey scents of BBQed beef. It already began last night, and I managed to make it to Pidgeon's car before I blew my chunks. It was nasty, but at least I was able to keep down 1/2 an entrecote skewer. I'm just so thankful I left a bag in the car, otherwise it would have been a bit messy.

So, I'm all messed up from the jetlag. I went to bed at 2:00 a.m. and was wide awake by 4:00 a.m. I laid in bed for a bit, went to the bathroom to read my What to expect while you're expecting book, came back to bed and woke Pidgeon to ask him what he thought of a baby name, and then gave in and just booted up my laptop. I made the big mistake yesterday of waking up at 6:00 and then sleeping basically on and off the rest of the day. I didn't get out of bed until 5:00 p.m., so no wonder I only slept 2 hours last night! I already made Pidgeon promise to not let me crawl into bed until tonight. I'm going to just fight through the exhaustion until I get my body back on Israel time!

Last night, we went to Pidgeon's family's big BBQ and it was a doozy! His folks had a lot of their friends over, and Pidgeon's Aunt's, Uncle's and cousins were also there. Since most of the family knows I'm pregnant, I fielded a lot of questions about how I'm feeling. I was very honest, and then suddenly someone is clinking a glass of champagne and making a toast about all of the Simchas in the room. Next thing I know, they're announcing that we are B"H expecting. Pidgeon got worried that I would freak out, but at that point in the evening I was feeling so nauseous and queazy that I couldn't care less. Granted, I'm only 11 weeks and most people wait until the end of their first trimester to tell people, but I'm really showing! I'd rather people know the truth then think that I overindulged in the States and just packed on the poundage. Hmm, does that make me vain?

Speaking of vanity: It took me 2 hours to get ready to go out last night, I just ripped through my wardrobe and tried to find stuff that still fit and was warm enough for the chilly Jerusalem evening. I settled on a pair of maternity pants (the only pair I bought, mind you, since I keep forgetting Jerusalem gets cool at night and I'm already in emergency-Israel-is-freaking-hot-make-sure-you-wear-clothing-that-ventilates mode) and a sweater set. I used a ton of under eye concealer to try to hide my bags and then broke out one of my new silk shmata's to tie around my head. Pidgeon said that I looked nice, but I felt a bit out of sorts. It's weird to be back, and to have to socialize with Pidgeon's entire family right away was a bit overwhelming. I guess things are still so new that, when I'm away, it just takes a bit longer to warm up again. I'm sure by the time Pidgeon's sister has her baby, I'll be back into the swing of things.

So, I'm absolutely starving right now but trying not to raid the fridge since it's only 5:50 a.m. Again, I'm trying to get myself on a schedule and middle of the night eating is really not something I want to get into the habit of doing. I'm going to try to hold out until at least 7:00ish/8:00ish before making myself a sandwich of some sort. Easier said than done, as a fierce headache is what woke me up to begin with. I definitely think it's a hunger headache, since I didn't eat much yesterday and didn't really keep much of dinner down. Yuck. I'm really, really looking forward to P"G the days when the nausea and this g-d awful taste in my mouth goes away. It's metallic sometimes, fruity the other, and just all around nasty. And my lord, but no one told me that I would be a saliva making machine!!!! Sometimes, I just want to grab a spittoon, cop a squat, and just spit all day long. Nasty image, no? Sorry about that!

Well, I think I'm going to head into the living room and tidy things up. Might as well be productive if I'm awake :)

Chag Sameach and Yom Huledet Sameach Israel from Jerusalem!


No comments: