Thursday, December 6, 2007

Chanukah - Day Two


I love this new blogger, it offers me so much more in terms of formatting options than my last blog. I feel a lot of freedom now that I can blog with complete and total anonymity. Anyone who knew me on my last blog was not given the new URL, and it's refreshing to know that I can write whatever I want, without any consequences.

So, let me begin. I'm newly married. Thankfully, I've been married for almost 4 months and we're having a great time together. Granted, life isn't without their ups and downs, but for the most part things are really fun. Now, I made Aliyah in 2006 and came to this Country without any family. Meanwhile, my husband (who will from now on be referred to as pidgeon) is a Sabra. Born and bred Jerusalamite to Anglo parents. His family, in this Country, is quite sizeable. It's lovely that he grew up with such a huge, involved, family. I, myself, come from a very small family and for the most part, we give each other space and get together during family celebrations and maybe Thanksgiving. It actually worked for me.

The other night, we all got together with one size of pidgeon's family to celebrate Chanukah. It was much better than my experience with them last year, as I'm a bit more comfortable interacting with his family now that we're married. But here's the thing, I'm having a lot of problems with pidgeon's sister. She's just not a nice person and, she's mean to him, and for some reason she feels like she can treat me the way she treats her brother.

First of all, I take issue with her because both pidgeon and myself are older. I grew up in a very strict family, where I was taught that no matter what you respect your elders. That doesn't just mean the old people in your life. That also means your older siblings. No matter how much I might fight with my older sister, I always respect her because she's older. I know, that thinking is extremely antiquated but sometimes it's not such a bad thing to revert to. Nevertheless, pidgeon is quite nice to her and yet she just continues to be a bitch. What I find interested and, ever since pidgeon brought me home to meet the family, she has gone out of the way to be nice and make friends. At first, I was more than happy with the attention and I reciprocated in kind. And then, well, then it got to be too much and now I have no idea what to do or how to interact with her.

I had invited her over this evening, with her daughter (her husband is out of town for a few days) to light candles. But, she was just so rude to us at the Chanukah party the other night that I am no longer interested in catering to her. So, I cancelled the other day and blamed it on some apartment problems. She SMSed early this morning to say how disappointed she was and if we could light candles together at their parents. I'm not even going to consult with pidgeon about this, I'm just going to say no. I need a break and, if I see her tonight, chances are that I'll say something I will regret. Space is a fantastic healer.

In honor of Chanukah, I baked oatmeal raisin cookies and - of course - helped myself to a handful. This morning, I'm 3 1/2 pounds heavier and am sending pidgeon to the office with all the leftover cookies. It's time this gal gets herself on a diet, marriage is not an excuse to let myself go! We're hopefully going to the gym today, which should be good and will get me out of the house and get me moving. I just can't believe that a handful of oatmeal raisin cookies could add so much extra weight to my body! Oy!

I think those will be the last cookies I bake in a while!

No comments: