Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mourning

Today is a really sad day for the State of Israel. This morning, Pidgeon and I made sure to turn on the TV at 9:00 and have been glued in ever since. I had hoped that both Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev would be returned alive. In fact, last night, I had a dream that Eldad Regev was alive. It was very vivid and when I woke up and woke Pidgeon to tell him about the dream, I almost expected it to come true. I was absolutely shocked when the Hizbollah spokesman made his speech about the exchange and then, when asked if the soldiers were alive, waited for a preverbial drumroll and said "well, now we're going to find out". That's when they pulled out two coffins. It was very, very upsetting. Pidgeon asked me when I was going to turn off the TV today, I said not before I see the two Red Cross trucks with the coffins cross into Israel. I need to know that they're bodies are here, in this Country, before I can turn off the TV and try to process the terrible news.

It's difficult to write about the mundane happenings in my life on such a day, but I think that's the only way I know how to cope. 

Yesterday, Pidgeon drove me to class in my new sandals and with four bottles of water. I managed to drink them all before returning home to Jerusalem at 4:30 p.m. Class was interesting and I was really engaged in the subject material, even though in the back of my mind I was excited that there's only 2 weeks left of school. I can't believe that, in 2 weeks, I will be finished will all of my course requirements for my Masters. Two years of classes, writing, exams, papers, almost finished. It's just so surprising how much has happened in the past 2 years, how much my life has changed, and now the academic portion it coming to an end. Strange but exciting at the same time.

After class, I went to the cool library on campus and read some of the required readings needed for class next week. I was also waiting for Pidgeon, whose own class doesn't end until 2:00 p.m. I had 3 hours to kill, and at least my book was pretty interesting. All the water I had been drinking was starting to get to me though, so I decided to take a break and hit the ladies room. 

I got stuck in the stall.

Laugh if you must, my Mother did when I told her.

I got stuck in the stall because they make these toilet stalls so darn small. And, the door always opens in! So, when I was finished my business and tried to get out, I couldn't. Between my big belly, my backpack and the narrow space, I somehow got wedged in. I had to literally back up, straddle the toilet, and twist in order to free myself. It was not pleasant. The baby kicked the entire time, I think it was because of my adrenaline. 

I hope, after 2 weeks, I never have to use a public restroom while pregnant again. We'll see whether or not I can live up to that aspiration.

Plus, I have developed a set of Fe Fi Fo Fum Feet. Yup, my feet has gained weight and spread about as wide as my belly. Hence the new sandals as I managed to outgrow all of my current shoes. In two months, I went from a size 8 to a size 9. And, I have absolutely no idea how wide they've gotten. All I know, is that it was a miracle I was able to find a pair of Rockports to fit my new swollen feet. Pidgeon insists it's cute, I'm a little less enthusiastic about the latest change in my body. Hopefully, once the weather cools off a bit in a couple more months, my body will stop swelling.

Well, I'm off to finish washing dishes and to get to work on my stories. Wishing everyone a Yom Tov from Baka. And, may Hashem comfort all the mourners of Zion.


2 comments:

SuperRaizy said...

Yes! Finally- someone else who realizes how ridiculous it is that the doors of toilet stalls open IN. I always have to squueze against the toilet to get out- totally disgusting.

Michael said...

That prisoner exchange was the end of our national self-respect.

I'm glad the Goldwasser and Regev families have their loved ones back, but I think that the price was far to high, and possibly more than Israel can afford to pay.