Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Philosophy Countdown


In about 15 hours, I'll be in the middle of the Medieval Philosophy final. Yikes! I needed a break, so I decided to update my blog before going back to my study notes. I've been at it since 11:30 a.m. and it's tiring! My head is swimming from the 4 proofs of Creation, the proofs of Providence, types of Commandments, types of Laws, etc. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep everyone straight, but it's confusing trying to keep up with the beliefs of Maimonides and Saadia Gaon and Joseph Albo, etc.  Plus, the exam format is multiple choice, and I am a lousy multiple choice test taker. I'm a brilliant essay test taker (I can BS my way through just about anything) and same with fill in answers. But hand me a multiple choice exam and I just have the hardest time, especially when the instructor tries to hand me trick questions. I always end up second guessing myself and inevitably scratch in the wrong answer. Now, Professor Harvey is a good guy, so I'm praying he did very few trick questions and everything else is just straight forward. At this point, I'm not even looking to ace the test, I just need to pass it so I can get a passing grade in the course and move on to my thesis. 

Here's hoping!

Well, Pidgeon and I had a long, busy day yesterday. I had another Holocaust literature class after my usually scheduled Tuesday class, and the conversation was fascinating. I am a huge Melvin Jules Bukiet fan, as of yesterday, since he is an absolutely brilliant writer. His short story The Library of Moloch was really, really riveting. I highly recommend it as a must read! By the time Pidgeon finished his own course, near the Azrielli mall in Tel Aviv, I was walking towards the Aroma off campus for a nice, tall drink of ice decaf coffee. It was stinking, stinking hot though, and sitting outside was torture. When I got into the car, Pidgeon was able to see his own reflection in the sheen of my face. Gross! I washed my face as soon as we walked through the door.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. We are planning on doing absolutely nothing. I froze some leftovers from last Shabbos, so I don't have to make any of the chicken, and am planning on cooking super light for the rest of the weekend. All I want to do is sleep and catch up on my reading. I have to get at least another book started and finished before the weekend is over, so that I can keep on top of my school work. 

I can't believe that June is practically over. I'm not that upset, mind you, as I absolutely hate this hot weather. I'm a Fall person and am looking forward to the crisp, cool weather of October. Granted, I have no maternity clothing for cooler weather, but I can always find an oversized sweatshirt and just layer up. 

Recently, I decided to try to change up our eating habits. I figured, since we're most active during the day, we should have our heavier meal for lunch and a lighter meal for dinner. So, this week, I've experimented and served Pidgeon meat for lunch and light/dairy for dinner. I don't know if he likes it so much, but I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to go to sleep without this huge meal to digest. Granted, I want to take a nap right after lunch is over, but at least I have plenty to do to distract me so I don't just crawl into bed as soon as I finish off the corned beef. I'm hoping this will help me keep my weight down, and with another Dr.'s appointment looming, I'm nervous. I'd really prefer not getting yelled at by my GYNO, it was not a pleasant experience.

Well, I think I should log off and get back to my notes. I'm still not straight on the purpose of Averroes/Ibn Rushd Decisive Treatise and I just know that's going to be a question. 

Erev Tov from Baka!

No comments: