Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Everyone's Fat

This is a picture of Pidgeon's snow tree in Baka from last week. You wouldn't know that we had snow last week since the weather these past fews days has been absolutely glorious! We just got back from a Brit in Elazar, which is a small Yishuv in the middle of Efrat (but on the right side if you're coming from Jerusalem) and it was so nice that Pidgeon and I went for a walk in the neighborhood to just take in the view. It's really breathtaking to live on top of a mountain, the view from where we were today was incredible.

But, a recap of the week:

First day of school and I had no trouble popping out of bed at 6:22 a.m. Pidgeon had a final, so he was really nervous, and we both respected each other's private space by getting ready in separate rooms. He dropped me off up the block from the Tachanah in Jerusalem and I literally ran across the bus station and made the 8:00 a.m. bus. It took me an hour and 20 minutes to get to Bar Ilan, and the ride was extremely pleasant. I met my friend Tamara in front of the English department, and we went together to the book store to get what we need from our class. It was so nice to sit in a class again! The conversation was stimulating, the material was intellectual, and for the first time in a really long time, I felt like I was where I needed to be. I'm ready for this semester to begin and end, so I can complete my Masters and feel that sense of accomplishment. I have a ton of reading now for next week but I'm looking forward to it as the material is interesting. After class, I went to Schar Limud to give in my papers that I'm covered as a Minhal Hastudentim student. Well, it turns out that someone in the University decided to add another number to my Teudat Zehut. Just randomly. Added the number 2. Don't know why,  but they refused to give me a reimbursement check until it was taken care of. Meaning, I now have to go to the Dean of Students office to have them correct it in the computer and then come back. And, wouldn't you know it but on Tuesday, Schar Limud is only open from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Well, my Professor was giving me a ride back to Jerusalem, so I certainly wasn't going to miss that in order to run to the other side of campus to the Dean of Students office (which, with my luck, would have likely been closed for the day). I decided instead not to get aggravated, and to call them during the week to figure out the situation.  I met the Professor by his car and the drive back to Jerusalem was great. I did most of the talking, but I was able to get a lot of information regarding my Independent Study course and my thesis. He dropped me off at Binyanai Haumah and I called Pidgeon, who was finishing up work at the office. I decided to walk and meet him part way, and I was feeling so good about the day, that I was practically skipping. The sun was shining and my jacket was open and I had my knapsac on me and I was so happy just being there. It was a good day. And then, I walked past this elderly Babushka looking woman, and she smiled at me and said Kulanu Shemainim which literally means We're All Fat. Well, there went my smile. WTF? I definitely didn't need a weight check, especially since I already know that I've gained a lot of weight. But here's this Grandma Israeli Lady telling me that we're all fat. Well, I didn't let it get me down. In fact, I thought it was really funny. I told Pidgeon when he picked me up and he said that the same woman said the same thing to him a few years ago. I love my husband, he always knows what to say to make me feel better. Well, I hummed the rest of the night and made us dinner and we went to bed very a happy and relaxed.

We could not get out of bed. I was just so happy in my sleep that I ignored my alarm and slept some more. The bookcases we ordered though last month were on their way, and so we had to force ourselves out of bed. The guys came and here I thought they were bringing already assembled bookcases into the apartment. But no, they assemble it all here in the apartment. It was incredible the way they put everything together. And, a few hours later, we had a beautiful shelving unit in our living room. Pidgeon left me to go to the office and do some work, and I spent 5 hours just cleaning and organizing. When Pidgeon came home, our living room was practically transformed into a really nice area. I was proud of my work. I made us a quick dinner of pasta and steak burgers and salad and then we went to bed.

Once again, we coulnd't get out of bed but we had this Brit in Elazar to go to. So, I forced myself out of bed so that Pidgeon would follow my lead and we got dressed. We were in the car and on our way by 9:15 a.m. and we arrived within 20 minutes! We went for a nice walk and then joined the crowd at the Brit. The Mohel was an hour late, and we recognized him immediately because he has been making the rounds. He was the Mohel at our nephew's brit last year, and the Mohel at Pidgeon's best friends son's brit this year, and then again today. The shul was nice but the food was amazing! I haven't had such good Brit food in a while. There were mini pizzas and olive and nut whole grain breads. There were these zatar topped bread too and mini whole grain challah rolls. Then, there was a table to fresh salads, including a pasta salad. The mains were little mini quiches of either corn and mushroom or broccoli, scalloped potatoes and cheese blintzes. Yum! I definitely want to get the name of this caterer because the food was great. Either that, or I was just absolutely starving. No matter. It was yummy!

Well, I'm back in the apartment now and getting ready for Shabbat. We are going away down South for some R&R. We're leaving tonight so we can spend the day tomorrow just relaxing and, if the weather is as nice as we hope it will be, we'll get a chance to take a walk on the beach.

Wishing you all a Shabbat Shalom!

No comments: